Music For Life

As I walked in for sound check, a familiar thrill of singing in a hall seeped into my bones. That chill and rush right to the heart can only be caused by pure satisfaction of being in there right here,right now.

Of course, the stage was a little intimidating, with 7 pianos and keyboards, 2 drum sets, and 4 or 5 amps at the least. And one solo microphone right in the middle of the stage; the microphone I would be using.

My band [Kelvyn, Jonathan, Kenny and Leonard] came to the hall and we ran through the 2 songs we would be performing! It sounded good, so I was confident. I had not been home all day! I had exams in the morning and that drained me 100% so this was an extra challenge for me.

The preparation for the show took a while. There were children performing as well so it was busy with kids and children were very excited with the shows. They all looked adorable in their little costumes and faces painted in color. My boys and I were afraid to trample over them. Well, not so much me. =)

I sang 2 songs with the children [mama mia, a first!!! and Thank you for the music] before a short break. Time flew during the break and I was chilling on the stage talking to the band. Then the MC put me on stand by and told me I was going to be starting soon. So I stood at the sides.

I felt like something was missing... I checked my lip gloss and realized I had not re applied some. Hmmm I thought that was all. Then it hit me that I was a little shorter then usual for a performance. I had been wearing slippers! I forgot to put on my heels!!! I ran through back stage and threw my slippers to a corner and slipped my heels on. Ran on stage just in time for the curtains to open!

There I stood. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen..." can't remember much of what I said. The lights were in my eyes, the camera's were flashing and the crowd was clapping. Through my nerves, the smile crept. And I was where I belong.

The band started with the chords for "A Change is Gonna Come" followed by "I Want to Break Free". The crowd was fantastic!!!! I was happy and I hope I felt smiles on faces.

The night went on with shows by the seniors of the music school, Jammin Sensation. A band walled the WVC trio performed with Adil Johan and of course the highlight of the night, miss Denise Mininfield!!! My friends Ben Singh accompanied her on percussions and he did fabulously. He was nervous, but he pulled it off like a pro! =)

The night ended and we all mingled to discuss [more like chit-chat/gossip] about the nights events. It was great hanging out with fellow musicians and sharing their experiences. Hahahaha! Over all, I was just nervous about the exams I was going to have the next day.

On a side note, I love my band! =)


No comments: